Coarse Cloth Ltd designs and manufacturers individually felted, super-soft, merino wool handbags, natural fiber woven bags, and natural fiber jewelry in Boulder County, Colorado. Founded in 2015, Coarse Cloth began making quality fashion accessories friendlier to both the wearer and the environment. In comparison with synthetic microfibers, natural fibers may be coarser in size but no less soft — thus the name Coarse Cloth.
Coarse Cloth Ltd takes pride in every one of their products. Their designs are unique. Made by hand, they source the yarn, fabric, and all other materials, cut out the individual pattern pieces by hand and make the bags in Colorado. They work with local craftspeople so almost every aspect of what they sell is local to the production in Boulder County.
Coarse Cloth felted products contain no toxins and their manufacture has a minimal negative impact on the environment.
They source luxuriously soft, merino wool yarn from the renowned Italian mill Zegna Baruffa Lane Borgosesia. The yarn is loosely knitted into shapes using an antique, manual knitting machine. Edges are hand-crocheted to produce a seamless body when felted. Felting creates a stable, soft, and thick fabric. Linings are made from GOTS-certified, organic fabric. Their Italian merino wool felt is very soft and durable and more forgiving than leather. Wool resists wear, repels moisture, is naturally flame-retardant and can be easily brushed clean.
Other fabrics used in Coarse Cloth products are carefully sourced from O Ecotextiles, makers of exceptionally beautiful, earth-friendly fabrics.
Leather straps and trim are vegetable-tanned, English bridle leather from Wickett and Craig of America, one of the few remaining U.S. tanneries still working exclusively with this non-toxic method using only American hides. In 2015 they received the Tannery of the Year award and were featured in an article from World Leather, August/September 2015 detailing their operation and business.
Handwoven straps are made from cotton, hemp, and wool using traditional card weaving techniques. Each strap is a work of art. Many designs and colorations are unique to Coarse Cloth Ltd. Bespoke straps are colored according to customer needs.
Custom, brushed-nickel D-rings, and screw-back hardware are lacquer finished for durability. Zippers are metal, YKK, US-made. The natural materials used by Coarse Cloth Ltd result in a unique, plush appearance.
Coarse Cloth handbags are renewable and toxin-free for your health and the health of the environment.
Artisan quality from fiber to fabric to finish.
- Yarn from the renowned Italian mill Zegna Baruffa Lane Borgosesia. Fine merino wool.
- Lining fabric from Two Sisters Eco textiles. GOTS certified organic fibers.
- English bridle leather from Wickett and Craig of America. Vegetable-tanned.
- Custom, brushed-nickel D-rings, and screw-back hardware. Lacquer finished for durability.
- Zippers are metal, YKK. US-made.
- Fine merino wool yarn is loosely knitted into shapes using our antique, manual Dubied knitting machine.
- Edges are hand-crocheted to produce a seamless body when felted.
- Felting is a time-intensive process that must be attended to by hand.
- A wooden form maintains each bag's shape while it dries.